Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Two weeks down...already??

Our two weeks is almost over!  I can’t believe it is almost time to go home but we have learned lots of new things to try when we get home.  These two weeks have been absolutely wonderful for Madie.   It has been so beneficial to have all three therapists, her rehab doctor, dietician, a pediatrician and all kinds of equipment all in one place.  It gives everyone who comes in contact with Madie an opportunity to brainstorm on what is best for her.  What works for one patient may not work for Madie and what works for Madie may not work for another patient so it has been great to have the chance to try equipment here that we don’t have at home before buying it only to find out it will be of no use.   Her therapies are only 30 minutes each but she is exhausted by the time she is done with all three and I can tell she has been working hard.  I feel like once we are back at home we will be able to better manage Madie’s day and make it much more productive for her, and maybe a little less boring for her nurse Jenny.  Not that Madie gives any of us the opportunity to get bored, she is pretty demanding of your attention!   
Madie’s eating is going well.  We are transitioning her from 5 feeds a day to 4 feeds and she has been getting a food tray all three meals of the day.  Now, she isn’t actually scarfing it down but she is taking baby steps towards eating.  I tried ordering her “regular diet” trays with the hope that I could mash it into a Madie suitable texture but she thought it was HILARIOUS to spit foods all over my face.  So Patti, her ST, decided to try a pureed meal tray.  She is doing much, much better the pureed foods.  Tonight she probably ate the most I have seen since the accident.  I was so proud of her, mostly because it was a pork chop pureed to the consistency of buttercream icing.  I’m going to have to figure out how to puree foods to the same consistency that they are here.  No matter how hard I try my purees are still lumpy and she wants nothing to do with store bought baby food.  Looks like I’ll be spending some time in the kitchen making baked potato soup and whipped pork chops when I get home!
Another reason we are so happy to be going home Friday is that Saturday is Madie’s 2nd birthday!!!  I can barely think about it without my eyes filling with tears.  It is so hard to believe that we came so close to losing her 10 months ago and now here we are with a beautiful, sweet, happy, laughing and loving miracle.  I am overjoyed that we will be able to celebrate with our whole family in our home.  I was able to sing happy birthday without crying at her party but something tells me I won’t have the same luck at home.  Ha! 
I am so excited to get home and get back in our routine and start working with Madie on all the new things we have learned here at OCH.  It has been so encouraging to see the smiles and shock on everyone’s face when they see Madie.  There are several people here that will stop by the room because they say they just love to see Madie smile.  I totally agree with them and it makes my heart so happy.  God has truly blessed my family beyond measure.
I have a new prayer request for all of you who have been so faithful with your prayers for our family.  Here is Jaci’s story.  She has been our neighbor here at OCH and is an inspiration.  She is going through a traumatic life changing event and EVERY time I see her she has a beautiful, genuine smile on her face.  She is facing incredible medical odds but her family has faith that God is leading them on this journey and that Jaci will be one of those great miracle stories you here about all the time.  She is already showing progress that most patients don’t achieve for months and her accident was a little over two weeks ago.  Please keep Jaci, her family, doctors and friends in your prayers as they are much needed and well deserved! 
I’m off to bed because I have lots of packing to do tomorrow!  Please also pray that Madie and I have a safe trip back to Marshall on Friday.  Thank you all for your support and love while we have been here.
With greatest gratitude,
Kristin, Matt, Molly Michael and Miracle Madie

No comments:

Post a Comment