Thursday, November 25, 2010

Gobble Gobble

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in ALL circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.   1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18
Happy Thanksgiving!  We had a great day spent with our wonderful family.  I started writing a list of all that I am thankful for and it didn’t take me long to realize that it would go and on forever and I would inevitably leave someone or something important off.  For that reason I decided to skip my list and I’ll just elaborate on a few of the obvious things we are thankful for. 
First and foremost, we are thankful for God.  We couldn’t have made it through the first day without him.  Being able to fully trust that God is in control has made every day manageable.  Our faith has been tested but it has only gotten stronger.  We know without a doubt that God has big things in store for Madie.     
There have been several people who have asked me how we stay so positive through all of this.  Matt and I decided from the start that we would do everything we could to be optimistic and rely on God to get our family through this heartbreaking moment in our lives.  I honestly can’t imagine how we could get through this any other way.  I don’t see how it would help any of us of if we focused on the things that MIGHT be wrong with Madie or that COULD go wrong.  Instead of being sad about what has been taken from us we are most thankful for everything we still have and all that we have learned over the past three months.  I’ve learned I am so much stronger that I could have ever imagined.  I’ve learned that Matt is so much more than my husband, my best friend, and the world’s best dad.  He is my soul mate and I know that God put him on this Earth to be with me.  I’ve learned that Molly Michael is an incredible little girl as well.  She has consistently surprised me at how well she has handled everything that has happened.  And then there is Madie… I am so thankful for her and the fight she put up to survive and the fight she has since put up to get better.  She amazes me every day.  It hasn’t been that long since we thought it was amazing that her right arm was starting to relax and she would open her hand a little when she was asleep.  Less than a month ago we thought it was great that we could get Madie to smile if we tickled her and now she smiles all the time.  You don’t have to do anything besides wave to her from the across the room.  She used to scream and cry anytime she was awake and was only quiet when she slept.  Now, she is happy all the time!  She can roll side to side and as soon as she realizes what to do with her arm she’ll roll all the way over.  Our nurse and all of our therapists talk about how much she changes from week to week.  Proud doesn’t even begin to express how I feel about her.  I know I have every right to be sad and mad about all that has been taken from our family, and sometimes I have those feelings, but more often than not I am thankful and grateful for all that has been given back to our family.  We are blessed indeed.
We are thankful for our family, friends and community.  I won’t even begin to name everyone, mostly because there are so many people that have done things to help our family that we don’t even know about.  Marshall, TX came together like I have never seen to help when we needed it most and we will never forget that.  We are thankful for everyone who has wanted to help not only Madie but our family as well.  There is no way we could have done this alone.  Madie is so lucky that are so many people out there that want so badly to be a small part in her recovery.  We hope everyone knows that our family is so appreciative of everything everyone has done for us and that we plan to pay it forward and help others in need in any way we can.
I could go on and on and on because there are so many other things we are thankful for not only today but every day.  I am so happy that we got to spend today surrounded by family.  I hope that everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving.
Ok, one last thing I am thankful for…an Aggie win. Way to go Ags!
Please continue to pray for Madie’s continued healing.  She has an appointment with her new GI doctor in Shreveport on Wednesday and then we will be heading to Dallas on Thursday for her follow up Neurology appointment.  Please pray that we get positive results from both. 
With greatest gratitude,
Kristin, Matt, Molly Michael and Miracle Madie
    

No comments:

Post a Comment